View of the Lachea island from inside of "Casa Merra"
"Casa Merra" in a photo of 1927
A legend wants that the name of Acitrezza comes from "latruzza".
Who was she? She was the owner of the old posada that was situated where
Acitrezza is placed now. During the night, while the
asleep she stole them. That is the reason why is called "latruzza".
It is very difficult that the name of Acitrezza draws
from this. Something is sure anyway: there was a "posada" maybe
older than Acitrezza,
it was made at the time when the first church was built. In
fact, the Prince of Campofiorito, founding the church in Acitrezza, gave
24 ounces to the church of S.Joseph (the first church) on
the 19th december 1690 and
as a confidence prove, he gave the gains of
the posada(that they were about 50 ounces per annum).
From the notes of father De Maria(priest from 1884 to 1928) we know that
the posada was made up of two rooms on the first floor and two rooms on
the ground floor. Where
this old posada was located?
Thanks to De Maria we can certainly say where it was placed. The priest
said that it was destroyed and it was located where today there is the
small palace called "la casa Merra". That name comes from the
nickname of the owner Domenica Fichera called "micia la merra";
who used this building as posada for long time. Then, the old posada was destroyed but the priest
did not know exactly when. He thought when the ownership passed from the
prince of Campofiorito to Donato Quattrini and Giovanni Del Monte.
According to the priest, probably
had disappeared at about the
second half of 1800.
Today "la casa merra", maybe the oldest palace in Acitrezza, it
reminds us of that old Posada built in unknown period or, if we want to trust
the priest De Maria, in roman period.