A picture of "Carcara"
The factory of bricks at north of Acitrezza managed from the Pistarà’s family that has kindly
given the photo
Maria, parish priest of Aci Trezza from 1884 to 1928, the name of the place would derive from the intense activity of fabrication of
tiles, furnishings and objects of terracotta that came exercised in the zone.
To testify it there would be, first of all, the clay of territory which is constituted especially around the
hill called "Monte Fano".
But, a better testimony would be, according to the De Maria, the so-called "Ciaramitaro". Such place is the space of sea
beetween the north end of the island Lachea
("CORNERA") and Capo Mulini. In that area, according to father De
Maria, they were found several antiquities most of terracotta. The fishermen
found out in their fishing net, in Twenties, various pieces of furnishings. We do not know the origin of those pieces of terracotta; the hypothesis are that it is due from the sinking of boats which took on them to something else
unknown. Third element that permit to know where came from the name of Acitrezza would derive from Latin name ACIS LATERITIA
(lateritious of Aci) that was until to some decades ago, the activity of fabrication of
tiles. It was still intensively exercised in the zone. The more important activity were the
(situated at the top of Mount Fano) and the Carcara (situated next to the Walloon at north of Acitrezza).
We can remember that the thesis of ACIS LATERITIA often was contrasted by a local
historian, Raccuglia who was, at the beginning of 1900, for the hypothesis of " TRI PIZZA " (the three tops of the Faraglioni).